Publishing Secrets from Top NY Literary Agent Mark Gottlieb: Part Two
In Part Two of this file the top-ranked New York literary agent, Mark Gottlieb – of Trident Media Group – returned to enlighten me about all things publishing including what it’s like to work at one of the world’s leading agencies, how to stand out as a writer, and the kinds of projects he’s looking for right now.
“When approaching a publisher without that built-in platform, all you can really say to them is this is a great book. Please make an editorial evaluation.” – Mark Gottlieb
Mark grew up around books and bestselling authors, and the writing life had an influence on him from an early age.
Inspired to go into the family business, he graduated with a degree in writing, literature & publishing, and began his career at Penguin. He’s since gone on to become one of the top-ranked agents on Publishers Marketplace and has represented numerous award-winning and New York Times bestselling authors.
Trident Media Group is a prominent New York agency that represents a diverse stable of over 1,000 bestselling and emerging authors across a wide range of genres in fiction and nonfiction.
Mark has optioned books for both film and TV and is actively building a client list of authors at TMG. He previously ran their audiobook department, and has worked in foreign rights.
He has a passion for working directly with authors to help them manage and build their careers using the unique resources available to him at one of the world’s leading literary agencies.
If you’re interested in an insider’s take on how to get traditionally published today, stick around, this is a good one.
This episode of The Writer Files is brought to you by the team at Author Accelerator. Author Accelerator book coaches give writers feedback, accountability, and support while you write, so you can get that your idea out of your head and onto the page.
If you’re a fan of The Writer Files, please click subscribe to automatically see new interviews.
If you missed the first half of this show you can find it right here. And If you’ve missed previous episodes of The Writer Files you can find them all in the archives at writerfiles.fm, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you tune in.
In Part Two of this file Mark Gottlieb and I discussed:
- How to stand out as a writer today (including the importance of platform, timing, and talent)
- Why authors can’t put the cart before the horse and the difference between selling non-fiction and fiction manuscripts
- The secrets of successful authors that aspiring writers can steal
- How a literary agent can improve an author’s marketing and promotion plan
- The most critical time leading up to your “book’s birthday”
- All the different ways big agencies think of your work beyond the book deal
- And Mark’s sage advice and tips for authors ready to seek representation
- Author Accelerator
- Publishing Secrets from Top NY Literary Agent Mark Gottlieb: Part One
- Mark Gottlieb at Trident Media Group
- Trident Media Group
- Trident Media Group: Submissions Link
- LiteraryAgentMarkgottlieb.com – Mark’s blog with author resources about all things writing, literature and publishing
- Publishers Marketplace
- How Professional Comedy Writer & Author James Breakwell Writes: Part One
- The Long Flight Home by Alan Hlad
- Autocomplete: The Book by Justin Hook
- Mark Gottlieb on Instagram
- Mark Gottlieb on Facebook
- Mark Gottlieb on Twitter
- Kelton Reid on Twitter
- Please click the PayPal Donate button to support The Writer Files with a secure PayPal donation