How New York Times Bestselling Author Sherrilyn Kenyon Writes: Part Two
In Part Two of this file the prolific, award-winning, #1 New York Times and international bestselling author, Sherrilyn Kenyon, returned to talk about what it’s like to be a literary legend with over 70 million copies of her books in print in over 100 countries.
“When the characters have chosen you … you need to go tell their stories, because nobody else can do it, and they picked you for the job. Are you really going to disappoint them?” – Sherrilyn Kenyon
Sherrilyn is considered one of the most popular and influential writers in the world and the multi-genre author is best known for urban fantasy and paranormal romance, including her popular Dark-Hunters series (Amazon), now also a NY Times bestselling manga.
Since her debut in the mid-90s she has placed more than 80 novels on the NY Times list in all formats and genres, including YA, children’s books, coloring books, historical romance (under the pen name Kinley MacGregor), and even graphic novels – her Lords of Avalon novels were adapted by Marvel.
Ms. Kenyon’s path to bestselling novelist was winding one, as you’ll hear, but through all the ups and downs she has cultivated an incredibly loyal fan community who call themselves Menyons who even design tattoos in honor of her more popular genre-bending books.
Her latest bestseller in the expansive Dark-Hunters series, titled Stygian, is described as a “…blend of tortured heroes, strong heroines, [and] historical mythology….”
Stygian was named one of best Science Fiction & Fantasy of the year by Kobo and Publishers Weekly has called her work, “A delicious balance of suspense and sensuality.”
This episode of The Writer Files is brought to you by the team at Author Accelerator. Author Accelerator book coaches give writers feedback, accountability, and support while you write, so you can get that your idea out of your head and onto the page.
If you’re a fan of The Writer Files, please click subscribe to automatically see new interviews.
If you missed the first half of this show you can find it right here. And If you’ve missed previous episodes of The Writer Files you can find them all in the archives at writerfiles.fm, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you tune in.
In Part Two of this file Sherrilyn Kenyon and I discussed:
- Why she prefers her PC over a Mac
- Her unique workflow and organizational hacks for keeping all of her characters and worlds straight
- Why her intense workload and work ethic require “combat napping”
- On viewing creativity as an adventure
- How great writers make a human connection (and a huge shoutout to copywriters)
- And the author’s great advice on storytelling and your obligation to the characters who choose you
- Author Accelerator
- Audible is Offering a Free Audiobook Download with a 30-day Trial: Grab Your Free Audiobook Here – audibletrial.com/writerfiles
- Sherrilyn Kenyon‘s Amazon Author Page
- Stygian: A Dark-Hunter Novel by Sherrilyn Kenyon
- Sherrilyn Kenyon on Facebook
- Sherrilyn Kenyon on Twitter
- Kelton Reid on Twitter
- Please click the PayPal Donate button to support The Writer Files with a secure PayPal donation