How New York Times Bestselling Author Sherrilyn Kenyon Writes: Part One
Prolific, award-winning, #1 New York Times and international bestselling author, Sherrilyn Kenyon, joined me this week to talk about what it’s like to be a literary legend with over 70 million copies of her books in print in over 100 countries.
“To me, the characters are why I write. They’re family. And I love the worlds.” – Sherrilyn Kenyon
Sherrilyn is considered one of the most popular and influential writers in the world and the multi-genre author is best known for urban fantasy and paranormal romance, including her popular Dark-Hunters series (Amazon), now also a NY Times bestselling manga.
Since her debut in the mid-90s she has placed more than 80 novels on the NY Times list in all formats and genres, including YA, children’s books, coloring books, historical romance (under the pen name Kinley MacGregor), and even graphic novels – her Lords of Avalon novels were adapted by Marvel.
Ms. Kenyon’s path to bestselling novelist was winding one, as you’ll hear, but through all the ups and downs she has cultivated an incredibly loyal fan community who call themselves Menyons who even design tattoos in honor of her more popular genre-bending books.
Her latest bestseller in the expansive Dark-Hunters series, titled Stygian, is described as a “…blend of tortured heroes, strong heroines, [and] historical mythology….”
Stygian was named one of best Science Fiction & Fantasy of the year by Kobo and Publishers Weekly has called her work, “A delicious balance of suspense and sensuality.”
This episode of The Writer Files is brought to you by the team at Author Accelerator. Author Accelerator book coaches give writers feedback, accountability, and support while you write, so you can get that your idea out of your head and onto the page.
If you’re a fan of The Writer Files, please click subscribe to automatically see new interviews.
In Part One of this file Sherrilyn Kenyon and I discussed:
- How she started out as one of the first female web developers in the ’90s
- Why the author’s determination and resilience through good times and bad led to her success (and superstition)
- How she stays sane, focused, and organized writing hundreds of characters across multiple genres (and how she still finds her car keys)
- On writer’s block and why the author set aside an unfinished book for ten years before finishing it
- Author Accelerator
- Audible is Offering a Free Audiobook Download with a 30-day Trial: Grab Your Free Audiobook Here – audibletrial.com/writerfiles
- Sherrilyn Kenyon‘s Amazon Author Page
- Stygian: A Dark-Hunter Novel by Sherrilyn Kenyon
- Sherrilyn Kenyon on Facebook
- Sherrilyn Kenyon on Twitter
- Kelton Reid on Twitter
- Please click the PayPal Donate button to support The Writer Files with a secure PayPal donation