How Bestselling Author Elizabeth Ann Atkins Writes: Part One
The multi-hyphenate and bestselling author of over 20 books, Elizabeth Ann Atkins, joined me this week to share her inspiring and winding journey from Pulitzer Prize nominated journalist to groundbreaking novelist, ghostwriter, educator, TV host, and health & wellness expert.
“I’m trying to help people see ourselves through our hearts and spirits instead of through our skin, our religions, and all the labels and divisions.” – Elizabeth Ann Atkins
She received a Master’s degree in Journalism from Columbia University and her writing has appeared in the New York Times, the San Diego Tribune, Essence, Ebony and the Detroit News, for her articles on race which were nominated for the Pulitzer Prize.
Elizabeth has written 20 books, including novels White Chocolate, Dark Secret, and Twilight (a collaboration with Billy Dee Williams), and she’s also one half of the indie publishing duo Two Sisters Writing and Publishing, with sibling Catherine, where the two share the mission to promote diverse voices in the book world.
Their credo is to “… publish quality anthologies of exceptional short fiction and inspirational nonfiction…” and “… books by authors of color, [and] women writers.” They offer consulting, editing, and ghostwriting services as well.
Elizabeth has been featured on Oprah, Montel, NPR, Good Morning America Sunday and CBS Evening News, and also co-hosts a weekly TV talk show, MI Healthy Mind, with a focus on mental health and wellness. She is presently working on her memoir.
If you’re a fan of The Writer Files, please click subscribe to automatically see new interviews.
In Part One of this two part file Elizabeth Ann Atkins and I discussed:
- How the author wrote herself into American literature
- What it’s like to write a novel with Billy Dee Williams of Star Wars fame
- Why the author leans toward underdog and against-the-odds stories
- How she combines her passion for writing and health and wellness in her work
- The power of journaling and meditation for writers
- And how mindfulness and writing notes by hand can help you cut through all of those modern distractions
- Two Sisters Writing and Publishing
- Elizabeth Ann Atkins’ author page on Amazon
- Power Journal: A 28-Day Challenge
- Gods Answer is Know by Elizabeth Ann Atkins – Godsanswerisknow.com
- “Mental training changes brain structure and reduces social stress” – Science Daily
- “Here’s why writing things out by hand makes you smarter” – Business Insider
- Two Sisters Writing – @2sisterswriting on Twitter
- Kelton Reid on Twitter
- Please click the PayPal Donate button to support The Writer Files with a secure PayPal donation