96: Self-Publishing Advice Conference Highlights: Jane Friedman Discusses Funding for Writers
In this seminar from our Self-Publishing Advice Conference in London this year, author and publisher Jane Friedman discusses “funding your writing career.” Jane talks about scholarships and grants for writers and how to get organizations and patrons to support your projects.
This Month’s Highlights
- There are four different approaches to funding your writing.
- You don’t get any money unless you ask.
- Grants and other “free money.”
- Prove that you can be trusted by producing work.
- Get your work out there.
- Have a vision for what you want to do with your writing.
- What are the common types of grants?
- How to increase your chances of getting a grant.
- Identify a specific project.
- Calculate a realistic goal for crowdfunding.
- Crowdfunding by the numbers
- Creating a pitch video
- Rewards should be affordable and easy to fulfill
- PayPal and TinyCoffee
- Recurring donations, such as Petreon.
- Pay your taxes!
- Take a look at Jane Friedman’s book, The Business of Being a Writer.
Find more author advice, tips and tools at our Self-publishing Author Advice Center: https://selfpublishingadvice.org, with a huge archive of nearly 2,000 blog posts, and a handy search box to find key info on the topic you need.
And, if you haven’t already, we invite you to join our organization and become a self-publishing ally. You can do that at http://allianceindependentauthors.org.
Now, go write and publish!