87: How to Promote Nonfiction with Limited Time and Money: March 2018 AskALLI Members’ Q&A
Welcome to Ask ALLi, the Self-Publishing Advice Podcast from the Alliance of Independent Authors. This week it’s our monthly Member Q&A where ALLi Members’ have their most pressing self-publishing questions analyzed and answered. Join your regular hosts for the Member Q&A: Michael La Ronn and Dan Blank.
Michael La Ronn is the author of over 30 books of science fiction and fantasy and authors self-help books. His books include the Galaxy Mavericks series and Modern Necromancy series. After a near-death experience in 2012, Michael decided to dedicate himself to writing, and he hasn’t looked back.
Dan Blank is the founder of WeGrowMedia, where he helps writers and artists share their stories and grow their audience. He is the author of the book Be the Gateway: A Practical Guide to Sharing Your Creative Work and Engaging an Audience. He has worked with hundreds of individuals, and amazing organizations who support creative people such as Penguin Random House, Sesame Workshop, Hachette Book Group, , Workman Publishing, J. Walter Thompson, Abrams Books, Writers House, The Kenyon Review, Writer’s Digest, Library Journal, and many others. Dan’s work has been featured by Poet’s & Writers magazine, the National Endowment for the Arts, Professional Artist magazine, and 99u. You can find Dan on his blog at or on Twitter and Instagram at @DanBlank
Questions answered this week include:
- What services does Alli recommend for outsourcing podcast editing/show notes?
- What tips do you have for using a service like Fiverr?
- Are box sets an effective marketing tool?
- Is Kindle Scout worth it?
- What is the best way to determine if a self-publishing service provider is reputable?
- What’s the step-by-step process of obtaining book reviews?
- Do you miss out on sales if you don’t go all-out during your book launch?
- Should I copyright my work?
- Is it truly possible to keep a pen name secret?