55: Member Self-Publishing Q&A w/ Orna Ross & Joseph Alexander: June 2017
Ep#55: Orna Ross & Joseph Alexander answer members’ questions on writing, publishing and promoting books. Each month, Orna Ross, ALLi Director, invites a special guest into the indie author hot seat to answer ALLi Members’ questions.
This month’s special guest is non-fiction indie authors Joseph Alexander who built his Fundamental Changes guitar series into a instantly recognizable author brand.
Find out some of the secrets of his success, and listen in as he and Orna answer self-publishing questions posed by our ALLi Members.
Here’s the self-publishing questions asked and answered this month:
- Q: I hear other authors say that promoting non-fiction is easier than promoting fiction, but my efforts aren’t working for me – what am I doing wrong?
- Q: I’m publishing a comic self-help book, can you help me with a basic low cost marketing plan, or one that is free to implement?
- Q: Are Amazon Ads a good option for indie authors?
- Q: What is the best approach for Facebook Advertising. Should I be promoting my Facebook page, my book, or a Facebook post?
- Q: I’m still confused about the benefits of using Amazon CreateSpace and IngramSpark to produce and distribute my POD book? Also do I need to buy my own ISBNs or can I use the free CreateSpace ISBN on IngramSpark?
- Q: I’ve heard rumors about Amazon Imprints (Amazon Publishing) and that Amazon will eventually only sell books that have been published under their imprint. Do you think this will happen?
Our weekly Self-Publishing Advice broadcast is brought to you by ALLi, the Alliance of Independent Authors. This Member Self-Publishing Q&A is one of four regular shows, which include a more advanced salon, a beginners’ salon and a special guest highlight presentation from the Indie Author Fringe, ALLi’s free online author conference.
Find more author advice, tips and tools at our self-publishing advice center, www.selfpublishingadvice.org. And, if you haven’t already, we invite you to join our organization and become a self-publishing ally. You can do that at www.allianceindependentauthors.org.
Now, go write and publish.
About your hosts
Orna Ross launched the Alliance of Independent Authors at the London Book Fair in 2012. Her work for ALLi has seen her named as one of The Bookseller’s “100 top people in publishing”. She also publishes poetry, fiction and nonfiction, and is greatly excited by the democratising, empowering potential of author-publishing. Connect with Orna on Twitter @OrnaRoss
Joseph Alexander has been a guitarist and expert music tutor for over 20 years. His tuition books are published in four languages and have sold over 200,000 copies to widespread critical acclaim. Recently his books passed $1,000,000 in revenue and he is currently writing a guide book to self-publishing for authors. He is currently writing and publishing cutting edge-material that breaks down the barriers between learning and playing the guitar.