47: Member Self-Publishing Q&A w/ Joanna Penn & Orna Ross: December 2016
Ep#47: Orna Ross and Joanna Penn answer members’ questions on writing, publishing and promoting books. Each month, Joanna and Orna answer Members’ self-publishing questions during our regular Ask ALLi event. If you missed our live Q&A session you can watch the video and listen to the podcast here.
We’ve also included a summary of the questions that were asked and answered this month.
- How do you assert copyright if you’re intending to self-publish under a pseudonym? And how does this pseudonym link back to the real-life person?
- How can you benefit from Foreign Rights requests but protect yourself from potential scams?
- I’m close to publishing my first novel. I’m confused about the ISBN, what pricing should I ask my designer to put on my book’s cover?
- If I’m publishing via Amazon for Kindle, can I also publish via other services like Ingram Spark and Lulu?
- I’m having trouble getting PR opportunities for my books. How can I find a publicist?
Listen to Orna and Joanna as they provide updates on the exciting activities planned for their author brands for 2017. There are also continual updates to existing ALLi guidebooks and plans to create new self-publishing ALLi tools throughout the year. Time waits for no … indie author.
Our weekly Self-Publishing Advice broadcast is brought to you by ALLi, the Alliance of Independent Authors. This Advanced Self-Publishing Salon is one of four regular shows, which include an ALLi Member Q&A, a beginners’ salon and a special guest highlight presentation from the Indie Author Fringe, ALLi’s free online author conference.
Find more author advice, tips and tools at our self-publishing advice center, www.selfpublishingadvice.org. And, if you haven’t already, we invite you to join our organization and become a self-publishing ally. You can do that at www.allianceindependentauthors.org.
Now, go write and publish.
About the Hosts
Joanna Penn is a New York Times and USA Today bestselling thriller author, as well as writing non-fiction for authors. She is also a professional speaker and entrepreneur, voted as one of The Guardian UK Top 100 creative professionals 2013. She spent 13 years as a business IT consultant in large corporations across the globe before becoming a full-time author-entrepreneur in September 2011. Connect with Joanna on Twitter @thecreativepenn
Orna Ross launched the Alliance of Independent Authors at the London Book Fair in 2012. Her work for ALLi has seen her named as one of The Bookseller’s “100 top people in publishing”. She also publishes poetry, fiction and nonfiction, and is greatly excited by the democratising, empowering potential of author-publishing. Connect with Orna on Twitter @OrnaRoss