4: How to Identify Your Story’s Ideal Reader
In this episode, we're going to talk about your story's ideal reader — or the one person who is going to love your book just as much as you do. Here's a quick overview of what we talk about in this episode:
- [01:00] What is an ideal reader? And why does your ideal reader matter?
- [02:20] How understanding your ideal reader can help you write with purpose and edit with focus.
- [03:15] How understanding your ideal reader can help you when it comes time to pitch agents and market your book.
- [04:45] Meet my ideal reader, Sage, and hear how she helps me cut through the noise and stay focused
- [06:45] How one writer's ideal reader helped her get back on track after making big changes in her manuscript
- [09:20] 10 questions to help you identify your story's ideal reader
- [12:45] What about everyone else? What if I want my story to appeal to everyone?
- [14:15] Should each of my stories have a different ideal reader? Or would all my stories share the same ideal reader?
- [15:25] Key points and a recap of the episode.
Subscribe & Review in Apple Podcasts
Are you subscribed to my podcast? If you’re not, I want to encourage you to do that today. I don’t want you to miss an episode! Especially because I’m adding a bunch of bonus episodes to the mix and if you’re not subscribed there’s a good chance you’ll miss out on those. So, click here to subscribe to the show in Apple Podcasts!
If you're already a subscriber, and if you enjoy the show, I would be really grateful if you left a review over on Apple Podcasts, too. Those reviews help other writers find my podcast and they’re also super fun for me to go in and read. Just click here to review, select “Ratings and Reviews” and “Write a Review” and let me know what your favorite part of the show is. Thanks in advance–I really appreciate it!
Links mentioned in this episode:
- Episode Freebie: How to Identify Your Story's Ideal Reader PDF
P.S. Did you know that I have a Facebook group just for fiction writers? In this private group, we talk about all things writing, editing, and publishing fiction. It's free to join and you can request access here. Hope to see you there!