303: A Survivor Story as a Middle Grade Novel in Poems — Interview with Sonja K. Solter
Hey there word nerds! Today, I have the pleasure of interviewing Sonja K. Solter.
Sonja graduated from Stanford University and earned an MFA in Writing for Children and Young Adults from Hamline University, with a critical thesis on writing trauma in middle grade and young adult realistic fiction.
She is currently a creative writing mentor to youth with the Society of Young Inklings and enjoys writing poetry and prose for children of all ages. When You Know What I Know is her gorgeous debut novel. Visit her website and follow her on Twitter and Facebook.
In this episode Sonja and I discuss:
- The inspiration behind When You Know What I Know
- Plot points in a character-driven story
- Writing a book in verse instead of prose
- How an ensemble cast effects the main character
- Writing about trauma in middle grade and YA
- How attending a conference led to publication
Plus, her #1 tip for writers.
For more info and show notes: www.diymfa.com/303