271: Write by Instinct and Break the Rules – Interview with RJ Barker
Hey there word nerds! Today, I have the pleasure of interviewing RJ Barker.
Now, according to the bio that either he or his publicist submitted when we set up this interview, RJ Barker is a softly-spoken Yorkshireman with flowing locks. He lives in the frozen north with his wife and son, and divides his time between writing and looking after his son.
According to the about page on his blog, RJ Barker is (and I quote) “Probably more ridiculous than you already believe.”
RJ is the author of The Wounded Kingdom series, which comprises Age of Assassins, Blood of Assassins, & King of Assassins and his newest book is The Bone Ships which is the first in The Tide Child series.
In this episode RJ and I discuss:
- The story behind The Bone Ships
- Hearing and creating the voice of a fantasy world
- Working with a copyeditor while breaking the writing rules
- Deciding when and how to break writing rules
- Creating an awesome opening line
- Balancing immersing a reader and explaining a world
Plus, his #1 tip for writers.
For more info and shownotes: DIYMFA.com/271