256: An Inside Look at Tropes in Literature – Interview with Lenore Appelhans
Hey there word nerds!
Today I have the pleasure of hosting Lenore Appelhans on the show!
Lenore is the author of several books for children and teens. Her work has received honors such as appearing on the Bank Street Best Books list, winning a SCBWI Crystal Kite award, and getting featured on boxes of Cheerios.
Her newest book the YA novel, The Manic Pixie Dream Boy Improvement Project, (which I devoured in practically one sitting!) simultaneously pokes fun at YA literature while also celebrating everything that is awesome about the category.
So listen in as Lenore and I chat about this amazing book and how tropes are used in literature.
In this episode Lenore and I discuss:
- The manic pixie dream girl trope.
- Metafiction, what it is and how to craft it right.
- Tropes vs. stereotypes, and how to recognize each in your own writing.
- The mechanics of writing a group scene without confusing your reader.
- How to get your mind and your writing to open up to diversity.
Plus, Lenore’s #1 tip for writers.
For more info and show notes: DIYMFA.com/256