253: Turning Characters into People – Interview with Jodi Thomas
Hey there word nerds!
Today I have the pleasure of hosting Jodi Thomas on the show!
Jodi is both a New York Times and USA Today bestselling author of over 50 novels and countless short story collections.
With five RITA’s to her credit, along with National Readers’ Choice Awards and Booksellers’ Best Awards, Jodi has proven her skill as a master storyteller, and in July 2006, was the 11th writer to be inducted into the Romance Writers of America Hall of Fame.
Her latest novel The Little Tea Shop on Main, while still focusing on love, diverts slightly from the romance genre into women’s fiction.
So listen in as Jodi and I chat about this amazing book and how to get so deep into your characters that both you and your readers feel that they are real people.
In this episode Jodi and I discuss:
- Giving each viewpoint character a distinct voice.
- How to craft three equally weighted protagonists in one story.
- Creating characters that extend beyond the page for your readers.
- How to use supporting characters for more than just a plot twist.
- Painting a realistic picture on the page by “walking the land” of your story.
Plus, Jodi’s #1 tip for writers.
For more info and show notes: DIYMFA.com/253