25: Member Self-Publishing Q&A w/ Joanna Penn & Orna Ross: January 2016
Ep#25: Orna Ross and Joanna Penn answer members’ questions on writing, publishing and promoting books.
Here’s the questions posed to Orna and Joanna this month:
- Q: Is ALLi continuing to work with Ingram Spark this year and are they offering a self-publishing discount to ALLi Members?
- Q: Do you have Insights about iUniverse Services?
- Q: What are the legal issues about setting up your publisher imprint?
- Q: What are the differences between CreateSpace and Ingram Spark POD distribution services?
- Q: Should authors release their books in Hardback?
- Q: Do ALLi maintain a list of reputable book Editors?
- Q: Is there such a thing as a “Book Shepherd” who could help an aspiring author publish their first book?
- Q: Is there any recourse if my publisher won’t take my book off Amazon or Barnes and Noble?
- Q: I’m publishing my book via Lightening Source, but on CreateSpace it shows that it has a long lead time for delivery. Is there anything I can do about this? And why is this happening to a POD version of my book?
- Q: Where can I find my ALLi Author Seal (and affiliate code?)
- Q: What’s the #1 Marketing Tip for Authors?
Our weekly Self-Publishing Advice broadcast is brought to you by ALLi, the Alliance of Independent Authors. This Member Self-Publishing Q&A is one of four regular shows, which include a more advanced salon, a beginners’ salon and a special guest highlight presentation from the Indie Author Fringe, ALLi’s free online author conference.
Find more author advice, tips and tools at our self-publishing advice center, www.selfpublishingadvice.org. And, if you haven’t already, we invite you to join our organization and become a self-publishing ally. You can do that at www.allianceindependentauthors.org.
Now, go write and publish.
About your hosts
Joanna Penn is a New York Times and USA Today bestselling thriller author, as well as writing non-fiction for authors. She is also a professional speaker and entrepreneur, voted as one of The Guardian UK Top 100 creative professionals 2013. She spent 13 years as a business IT consultant in large corporations across the globe before becoming a full-time author-entrepreneur in September 2011. Connect with Joanna on Twitter @thecreativepenn
Orna Ross launched the Alliance of Independent Authors at the London Book Fair in 2012. Her work for ALLi has seen her named as one of The Bookseller’s “100 top people in publishing”. She also publishes poetry, fiction and nonfiction, and is greatly excited by the democratising, empowering potential of author-publishing. Connect with Orna on Twitter @OrnaRoss