235: Double Trouble: Writing Near-Fi Dystopia – Interview with Ashley and Leslie Saunders
Hey there word nerds!
Today I am so excited to have Ashley and Leslie Saunders on the show!
Ashley and Leslie are award-winning filmmakers, twin sisters, and authors. Hailing from the suburbs of Dallas these two honed their love of storytelling at The University of Texas at Austin.
While researching their debut novel, The Rule of One, Ashley and Leslie fell in love with America’s national parks, as they traveled the path of their main characters (also twin sisters) Ava and Mira.
I’m reading The Rule of One right now, and OMG it is soooooo good! I was delighted to learn that this book will be followed by a sequel, The Rule Of Many, releasing in spring of 2019.
So listen in as Ashley, Leslie, and I chat about this awesome book, and crafting a visually stunning near-fi dystopia on the page.
In this episode Ashley, Leslie, and I discuss:
- Crafting a realistic twin sister relationship.
- Worldbuilding techniques for “near-fi” stories.
- The challenges of writing a novel vs. a screenplay.
- How to build a visual story on the page.
- Why connecting with other writers can motivate you to keep writing.
Plus, Ashley’s and Leslie’s #1 tips for writers.
For more info and show notes: DIYMFA.com/235