225: The Bromance Noir Mystery – Interview with Andrew Shaffer
Hey there word nerds!
I’m sooooo excited for today’s interview because I have Andrew Shaffer on the show!
Andrew is the bestselling author of several humorous works of fiction and nonfiction including the parody Fifty Shames of Earl Grey.
He is also the owner and creative director of Order of St. Nick, the quirky greeting card company whose cards have been featured on The Colbert Report, and is the publisher of 8th Circle Press.
Andrew’s latest humourous yarn is Hope Never Dies: An Obama/Biden Mystery. Part noir mystery, part bromance, and part parody, this novel features Obama and Biden teaming up to solve a grisly murder.
Well then listen in as Andrew and I chat about this awesome book, and the art of combining the dark elements of noir with the comedy of bromance.
In this episode Andrew and I discuss:
- Why choosing the right point of view character is so important to your story.
- Crafting characters not caricatures.
- How to use public figures in your book without hindering your writing (or getting sued).
- Parody, what it is and how to do it right.
- Using comedy to your story’s best advantage.
Plus, Andrew’s #1 tip for writers.
For more info and show notes: DIYMFA.com/225