214: Dealing with Darkness through Comedy – Interview with Adam Cayton-Holland
Hey there word nerds!
Today I have the pleasure of hosting Adam Cayton-Holland on the show!
Adam is an author and national touring comic who has appeared on shows including Conan, The Meltdown with Jonah and Kumail, and Happy Endings just to name a few. He has also been named one of Esquire’s “25 Comics to Watch” and Variety’s “10 Comics to Watch.”
Adam has been described as “genial” and “with pretty decent teeth”, and co-created, writes, and stars in truTV’s show Those Who Can’t along with his fellow members of the comedy troupe, The Grawlix. His writing has appeared in places such as Spin and The Atlantic as well.
Adam is also the author of the new heart-wrenchingly gorgeous memoir Tragedy Plus Time.
Listen in as we chat about this amazing book and how to tackle a tragic event with humor on the page.
In this episode Adam and I discuss:
- The art of weaving someone else’s life along with yours in a memoir.
- How to create moments that feel real on the page and get readers to respond.
- The broader impact of memoir, and how to navigate that responsibility.
- Knowing what to cut out and what to fight for in revision.
- How to choose the right structure for your memoir.
Plus, Adam’s #1 tip for writers.
For more info and show notes: DIYMFA.com/214