195: The Art of Writing Memoir – Interview with Steven Gaines
Hey there word nerds!
Today I am delighted to have author and journalist Steven Gaines on the show!
Steven is the bestselling author of a number of biographies and nonfiction books including Philistines at the Hedgerow: Passion and Property in the Hamptons and The Love You Make: An Insider’s Story of the Beatles.
His journalism has appeared in several major publications such as Vanity Fair and The New York Times, and he is the co-founder and past vice-chairman of the Hamptons International Film Festival.
After decades of writing the life stories of others, Steven’s latest work, his memoir One of these Things First, showcases a defining moment in his own life.
Listen in as we chat about the literary art of writing a memoir that is both truthful, and tells an engaging story for readers.
In this episode Steven and I discuss:
- How to identify the juicy moments of your life to craft into a memoir.
- Finding, but not clinging, to the “tent pole” of your story.
- Pushing the story forward and staying true to the events.
- The role of humor in memoir, and how to do it right.
- The when, where, and how of releasing your story to the world.
Plus, Steven’s #1 tip for writers.
For more info and show notes: DIYMFA.com/195