191: Writing Around a Heavy Issue – Interview with Kiersi Burkhart
Hey there word nerds!
Today I’m thrilled to have author Kiersi Burkhart on the show!
Kiersi is an author and freelance writer living in windy, wild Wyoming. She is the co-author, along with Amber J. Keyser, of the middle grade series Quartz Creek Ranch; four stand alone stories all about a summer horse camp in her own home state of Colorado.
She went to college at a small, and extremely remote school in Portland, Oregon, where she got really plugged into their literary community. The secluded campus and insular culture of this college inspired the setting in Kiersi’s latest book and YA debut, Honor Code.
Listen in as we chat about Kiersi’s amazing book, and how to focus on characters in an issue driven book.
In this episode Kiersi and I discuss:
- Crafting an issue-driven book that doesn’t feel issue-driven.
- Flipping a known concept on its head to form a more interesting theme.
- How to use a blog as a device to layer your story with different perspectives.
- The wider world of writing, ways to get out of your writer’s bubble and into the community.
- Tips to survive the introvert hangover after an in person event.
Plus, Kiersi’s #1 tip for writers.
For more info and show notes: DIYMFA.com/191