186: Your Journey into Writing – Interview with Stef Penney
Hey there word nerds!
Today I am so excited to have author Stef Penney on the show!
Stef is a screenwriter and author. Her debut novel, The Tenderness of Wolves,was the winner of the Costa Prize for Book of the Year and the Theakston’s Crime Novel of the Year, and was translated into thirty languages.
Stef followed up this success with her next highly acclaimed novel The Invisible Ones, and her latest work Under a Pole Star which was the recipient of the 2017 Wilbur and Niso Smith Adventure Writing Prize.
An epic tale of arctic exploration between two rival teams in the 1800’s, writing Under a Pole Star became a journey of its own for Stef, as she mapped out her characters’ lives and took readers across three continents in this amazing work.
Listen in as we chat about the creation of Under a Pole Star, and how to best prepare yourself for your own writing exploration.
In this episode Stef and I discuss:
- Using visual aids to add reality to a fictional setting.
- When to show your character’s back story and how to do it right.
- Preparing yourself to navigate through your writing and what “tools” to take.
- Systems to keep track of and order your research into a novel.
- Dealing with gender roles in a novel without being political.
Plus, Stef’s #1 tip for writers.
For more info and show notes: DIYMFA.com/186