180: Writing a Thriller Series – Interview with D.P. Lyle
Hey there word nerds!
Today I am so excited to have author D.P. Lyle on the show!
In his writing career, Doug has received a Macavity and Benjamin Franklin Silver Award and has been nominated for a gazillion others including, but nowhere near limited to, the Edgar, Agatha, and Silver Falchion. He is the author of 17 books, including the thriller series of Samantha Cody, Dub Walker, and Jake Longly (which is the one highlighted on the show!). He has also worked with writers of numerous popular T.V. shows like, Law & Order, CSI: Miami, Monk, and the list goes on.
As if all that wasn’t impressive enough, Doug is also the VP of Education for International Thriller Writers. This means he is in charge of CraftFest, Master CraftFest, and ITW’s online Thriller School.
Listen in as we discuss his latest Jake Longly thriller, and the art of crafting a thriller series to keep all your readers, both new and super fans, coming back for more.
In this episode Doug and I discuss:
- The importance of settings, and how to use them right.
- What the two types of series are, and how to write them both.
- Tips to overcome the challenges of the thriller series character.
- Less is more, knowing what to leave in and what to leave out.
- An inside look at ITW’s educational programs, and ThrillerFest 2018.
Plus, Doug’s #1 tip for writers.
For more info and show notes: DIYMFA.com/180