176: YA or Adult, Choosing Your Audience – Interview with Danya Kukafka
Hey there word nerds!
Today I have the pleasure of chatting with author Danya Kukafka on the show!
Danya’s stunning debut novel, Girl in Snow, received rave reviews right out of the gate from masters of the thriller genre like Paula Hawkins and Lee Child. This achievement is made even more remarkable when you consider that Danya is only 25 years old!
After reading The Perks of Being a Wallflower and The Virgin Suicides, Danya became fascinated by unstable teens in voyeuristic communities. She set out to explore the idea of what would happen if you had a teenage boy who truly doesn’t know if he’s killed someone. How could the reader find empathy for him?
Listen in as we tackle this question and the even bigger question of deciding where the line between YA and adult lies as we discuss Girl in Snow.
In this episode Danya and I discuss:
- Adult or YA? Deciding which way is right for your story.
- Writing teenage characters that feel real.
- Knowing when to choose a multiple point of view and how to do it right.
- Dealing with the publishing world as an editor and an author.
- How to win the comparison game by sticking to your own writing path.
Plus, Danya’s #1 tip for writers.
For more info and show notes: DIYMFA.com/176