174: Story and Context – Interview with Jarett Kobek
Hey there word nerds!
Today I am delighted to have Jarett Kobek on the show!
Jarett published his first novel, I Hate the Internet, last year with a small indie publisher and it immediately took on cult status and received rave reviews. His new book, The Future Won’t Be Long, centers on one of the characters (Adeline) featured in I Hate the Internet and is set in my favorite city, New York!
Listen in as we discuss Jarett’s latest novel and his techniques to keep a book based around technology relevant even when the tech in the story becomes obsolete.
In this episode Jarett and I discuss:
- The art of explaining everything, and why you should use the technique.
- His tips and tricks for keeping the technology in a book relevant for future generations.
- When to set a project aside and how to go back and edit it later.
- How to grow your characters through multiple books as well as in a single book.
- Why readers want to read multivolume stories.
Plus, Jarett’s #1 tip for writers.
For more info and show notes: DIYMFA.com/174