160: The Truth of the Matter – Interview with Katherine Nouri Hughes
Hey there word nerds!
Today I am delighted to have debut novelist Katherine Nouri Hughes on the show!
Katherine is publishing her debut, The Mapmaker’s Daughter, at the age of 67. Her book is a remarkable feat not only in its scope, but in its depth.
Listen in as we discuss the different and largely unknown (in western culture) historical framework of Katherine’s novel, and the craft of writing the truth in fiction through your own experiences.
In this episode Katherine and I discuss:
- How to piece together facts of an unknown person in history to create an exciting and believable novel.
- How to reveal the core truth of your story through showing instead of telling.
- How to keep the proportions of your story’s narrative in check.
- Why learning to be calm and relaxed with your novel helps you write better.
- The challenges and advantages are of writing a novel later in life.
Plus, Katherine’s #1 tip for writers.
For more info and show notes: DIYMFA.com/160