159: Character Relationships that Resonate – Interview with Jane Green
Hey there word nerds!
Today I have the pleasure of having bestselling author Jane Green on the show!
Jane has written 17 New York Times bestsellers, and her books have sold more than 10 million copies worldwide. While her latest book The Sunshine Sisters might be pegged as a “beach read” there is a depth and richness to the relationships between the characters that makes it so much more.
Listen in as we discuss Jane’s latest novel and the craft of writing intricate characters relationships.
In this episode Jane and I discuss:
- How to craft a story around a large issue, such as the right to die, without writing an issue driven book.
- How to craft characters with very different personalities all striving to find their “happiness” in a way readers will love, and the poem that inspired Jane to write about mother-daughter relationships.
- How to balance the tug-of-war between writing for the market and writing from your heart.
- Why you need to hear feedback, and how to know whether you need to listen to it.
- How using a unique POV framework can crystalize who the characters are, and keep things exciting for you as a writer.
Plus, Jane’s #1 tip for writers.
For more info and show notes: DIYMFA.com/159