156: Irony and Satire – Interview with Courtney Maum
Hey there word nerds!
Today I am so excited to have Courtney Maum on the show!
Courtney is the author of I Am Having So Much Fun Here Without You, and pieces of short fiction an essays that have appeared in places such as New York Times. Her latest novel, Touch, is the satirical story of Sloane Jacobson a trend forecaster who sees a move against electronics and toward in-person interaction ahead.
Listen in as we discuss the strange yet believable world of Touch, an dhow limiting our electronic usage can be beneficial to our creativity.
In this episode Courtney and I discuss:
- Why a huge emphasis on electronics is damaging to your writer’s intuition and creativity.
- How to craft a “blind spot” for a character who’s job it is to know everything, thus giving readers a reason to read on.
- How to best research and craft a story of speculative fiction.
- Why it is important to find friends outside the writing community.
- How learning to write copy can help you in other writing endeavors.
Plus Courtney’s #1 tip for writers.
For more info and show notes: DIYMFA.com/156