153: From Midlist to Breakout Author – Interview with Karen Dionne
Hey there word nerds!
Today I have the pleasure of hosting Karen Dionne on the show.
Karen was the first author I ever interviewed on DIY MFA Radio, and is now the first author that I’ve brought back for a second solo interview because she’s just that awesome.
In this episode we discuss Karen’s novel The Marsh King’s Daughter, the very book she was working on way back in 2014 when I first interviewed her, and I have a feeling this book will be one of the summer’s biggest hits.
In this episode Karen and I discuss:
- How to write the book that’s in you by mining what you know, and why this can make a bizarre setting not only unique but memorable.
- How to write complex characters that will jump off the page for readers.
- How to write a relatable villain, and why showing that your bad guy isn’t all bad makes the story more engaging and keeps readers flipping pages.
- How to hit your reader with a major shift in chapter one.
- How switching gears in what you write can help you reach your writing goals.
Plus, Karen’s #1 tip for writers.
For more info and show notes: DIYMFA.com/153