106: How to Refocus Your Author Business: AskALLi Advanced Self-Publishing Salon August 2018
In this month’s Advanced Self-Publishing Salon from the Alliance of Independent Authors, Orna Ross and Joanna Penn discuss how to refocus your author business.
Topics discussed this week include
- ALLi is pulling together a video and document explaining facts and myths about working with Amazon.
- Orna is engaged in a great experiment to treat her poetry as she would any work of fiction or nonfiction.
- Joanna is reading “time slip fiction” and writing a book based on Ezekiel’s Valley of the Dry Bones.”
- It’s important, as creative entrepreneurs, to map out your time in advance.
- The challenges of becoming a screenwriter.
- Ask yourself what you want to be known as. What do you want them to say about you at your funeral?
- What are the tasks you should outsource?
- If you build your assets over time, success is inevitable.
Find more author advice, tips and tools at our self-publishing advice center, http://selfpublishingadvice.org. And, if you haven’t already, we invite you to join our organization and become a self-publishing ally. You can do that at http://allianceindependentauthors.org.
Now, go write and publish!
About the Hosts
Joanna Penn is a New York Times and USA Today bestselling thriller author, as well as writing non-fiction for authors. She is also a professional speaker and entrepreneur, voted as one of The Guardian UK Top 100 creative professionals 2013. She spent 13 years as a business IT consultant in large corporations across the globe before becoming a full-time author-entrepreneur in September 2011. For more information about Joanna, visit her website: http://thecreativepenn.com
Orna Ross launched the Alliance of Independent Authors at the London Book Fair in 2012. Her work for ALLi has seen her named as one of The Bookseller’s “100 top people in publishing”. She also publishes poetry, fiction and nonfiction, and is greatly excited by the democratising, empowering potential of author-publishing. For more information about Orna, visit her website: http://www.ornaross.com